Leave a comment

Snow Day

Yesterday, we got a bit of snow and there was much talk of the impending snowstorm, said to bring up to 14” (in some areas) to western Washington.  Michael was to fly out of Sea-Tac to Spokane and it seemed that even my work schedule was hanging in the balance.  With a great chance of being marooned alone at home for a day or two, I pondered the great possibilities of how to keep myself busy.  I grabbed a few cookbooks, made a list and drove to the store while I still could.  I shall cook!

This morning I woke to a winter wonderland out my front door . . . and a voice mail from work to stay home.  I look up at the TV to see the newswoman say, “If you don’t have to go out, DON’T” and at the same moment Michael tells me his flight is on time.  Certainly not pleased with the situation, I watch Michael bravely pull out of the driveway in Gambon (his LR3) with the snow over half way up the tire.  Snowed in, 8 am and my husband just left.   What to do?

How about a walk?  And hey, I have new snowshoes.  Well, there is no time like the present.  I loaded up on warm oatmeal, opened the garage door and ventured out into the cold white world.  Seriously, within several yards I’m toasty warm and several more yards, I’m breathing moderately.  I’m traipsing through 13” of snow mind you (yes, 13” I measured it).   And so I shoed my way around our development, the neighboring complex and back home.

After a nice hot shower, a few work emails and some lunch, the cooking began.  I started with a lemon-yogurt cake.  I chose recipes of things that would keep until Michael gets home on Sunday.  So he could marvel (once again) at my cooking and baking splendor!

The lemon cake was not at all done after it’s 50 minutes at 350.  After pulling a knife out of the center, it came out coated in batter.  So back in the oven it went for another 10 minutes.  After 15 additional minutes, it was done.  I made a heated sugar and lemon juice mixture to pour of the top of the warm cake, just to soak in.  Then, after it was cooled, I made a lite icing and drizzled it over the top.

Diner was nothing really to write about, but I will anyway.  Fresh pasta with Mario Batali Tomato & Basil sauce and fresh parm, in a bowl.  Long pasta always tastes better to me in a bowl.  And this beautiful hand painted bowl was made with love from our good Italian friends as a wedding gift.

Tomorrow will either be several hours of homemade caramels, if I’m stuck at home again and have nothing but time to kill.  Or perhaps ultimate ginger cookies.

Bon Appetit!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: